Self-testing (COVID-19) Information
Self-testing is a requirement for ALL students (vaccinated/recovered/unvaccinated) in order to enter the school premises. The self-testing must be done up to 24 hours prior to school, once a week on Tuesdays. All students will be provided with the free self-tests from the pharmacy by providing their Greek Social Security Number (AMKA) or temporary AMKA (PAMKA). For underage students, the parents/guardians will receive the free self-test with the students’ Greek Social Security Number (AMKA - PAMKA).
Self-testing is a simple and quick procedure that is also used in other countries in order for schools to operate normally. The self-test is nasal and not nasopharyngeal or oral pharyngeal, the soft end of the swab must be inserted into the nostrils and rotated gently rubbing it along the insides of your nasal passage several times. More information on how to do the test is included in the self-test kits. Please read the instructions in your kit carefully before you take the test as they may vary slightly depending on the model.
Steps to follow:
- Parents, guardians, and students will receive the free self-test along with information material from the pharmacy, using their Greek Social Security Number (AMKA - PAMKA).
- Students will do self-tests at home. It is recommended that the test is done the same morning or the night before. Therefore, the self test can be done on Monday night or Tuesday morning before school.
- Parents and adult students will submit their results of the self-test through the platform (information ONLY in Greek), in which they will enter with the taxisnet codes, entering specific data, such as father’s name, mother’s name, Greek Social Security Number (AMKA - PAMKA) and the result of the self-test.
In case the self-test is NEGATIVE:
- For students, a school card (document) will be issued through the platform. Students will carry the school card (document) with them at ALL times. All students must bring it to school on a daily basis. If students ride the bus to come to school, they MUST show their card (document) to the bus monitor (if they do not, they will NOT be allowed to get on the bus). If the student does not use the school bus transportation, they MUST show their card (document) when they enter the school gate (“check-in desks” will be set up by grade) every morning.
- If students have no access to a printer, parents-guardians must fill out the contact information of the student and parents (AMKA number, student-parent full name, date, and signature, type and result of the test) in a paper.
In case the self-test is POSITIVE:
- For students, the positive result will be submitted on the school card through the platform, with which they will be able to go to a public health care facility for a free repeat rapid test. The list of public health facilities can be found here (information in Greek).
- If the repeat test is positive, the EODY protocol will be followed. If the retest is negative, students will receive a certificate from the test site and return to school.
- In case of a positive self-test result on a student, the rest of the family members need to stay at home and isolate until the repeated test result comes out.
- Vaccinated students or students with a recovery certificate (within 6 months) are required to do the self-test twice per week.
- Unvaccinated faculty members or employees without a recovery certificate (within 6 months) MUST perform two rapid tests at a clinic twice per week, on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- Guidelines on how to do the self-test can be found here (in Greek) or here (in English). Please read the instructions in your kit carefully before you take the test as they may vary slightly depending on the model.
- If a student does not have an AMKA number, the parents must visit the nearest Citizenship Center (KEP) in the area in order to issue a temporary AMKA number (PAMKA). This procedure might take some time.