Mission / Vision
Our Mission Statement
ACS Athens is a student-centered international school, embracing American educational philosophy, principles and values.
Through excellence in teaching and diverse educational experiences, ACS Athens challenges all students to realize their unique potential: academically, intellectually, socially and ethically — to thrive as responsible global citizens.
Empowering individuals to transform the world as architects of their own learning.
We believe that:
- ACS Athens is a student-centered institution in the pursuit of academic excellence, building upon each student’s unique talents and abilities
- student learning is a shared responsibility of the student, the school and the family.
- students learn and develop best in an environment of cooperation, belonging and trust.
- diversity takes many forms and that respect for and acceptance of diversity is a source of richness in our community.
- possessing a strong sense of civic responsibility and an ethic of service is fundamental to effective global citizenship.
- education exists to promote intellectual, emotional and physical wholeness and ethical decision-making.
- our community exists to provide opportunities for all of our students to reach their full potential.
- learning is a life-long process.
Beliefs & Goals
- Evaluate and improve curriculum, instruction, professional development and institutional services. Enhance educational experiences with innovative programs
- Improve communication within the ACS Athens community. Enhance the public image of ACS Athens.
- Increase enrollment through recruitment and retention, while ensuring high standards.
- Upgrade and integrate technology to improve teaching, learning, communication and institutional operations.
- Promote a culture of learning, respect, responsibility, accountability, creativity, enthusiasm and continuous improvement.
- Ensure long term financial stability of ACS Athens.
- Provide well-maintained and optimally utilized facilities; anticipate and plan for future needs.
The Portrait of ACS Athens Graduates
The ACS Athens Graduates are:
They develop their natural curiosity and encounter the world and embrace the future with sense of imagination and wonder. They acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning. They actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.
They explore concepts, ideas and issues that have local and global significance. In so doing, they continue to acquire in-depth knowledge and develop understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines. They have an understanding of how technology shapes their lives.
They apply thinking skills independently, critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems.
They understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication. They are capable of listening to and receiving ideas from others, both from within and outside of their own cultures.
They act in accordance with fundamental principles of integrity, honesty, and humility, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities, among other values. They take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences that accompany them.
They understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities. They are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience.
They show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others. They have a personal commitment to service, and to making a positive difference in the lives of others and to protecting the environment.
They approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies. They are brave and articulate in defending their beliefs.
They understand the importance of intellectual, physical and emotional balance to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others.
They give thoughtful consideration to their own learning and experience. They are able to assess and understand their strengths and limitations in order to support their learning and personal development.
They approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies. They are brave and articulate in defending their beliefs. They use their knowledge to set goals and develop plans and deadlines for meeting them; as well as to make informed, ethical, moral, aesthetic and political choices.