Dear ACS Athens Community Members and Friends
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to ACS Athens on behalf of the Board of Trustees and myself personally as Chairperson.
As a parent of two ACS Athens graduates of the school and a member of the Board of Trustees for 14 years, I feel great pride in the academic achievements of this institution.
Our 18 member Board of Trustees have made a conscious commitment to ensure that all students are provided with a holistic educational experience that encompasses physical, emotional, psychological and social development, allowing them to become architects of their own learning in order to thrive as conscious global citizens to improve life and living on the planet.
The Board of Trustees are committed to ensuring that the institution has all the necessary resources and structures in place to support a rigorous academic program and an environment that challenges the students to strive at academic excellence and succeed as they go on to university and beyond. We want our students to learn to become ethical, resilient, responsible, independent and creative thinkers who will go out into the world wanting to make mindful difference to their community for the better.
Educational success is not only achieved by the faculty and students. When parents choose a school they want their children to attend they enter into a partnership that plays a significant part in the students educational success. Once a parent chooses ACS Athens as the school for their child(ren), they need to consciously remember that the Golden Triangle, school-parent-student must work in harmony throughout the student’s academic journey to ensure that they will achieve their goals.
ACS Athens operates within a very strong values system and we will strive to ensure that our graduates will go out into the world as people of competence, conscience and have passionate commitment in their chosen careers.
Board of Trustees
ACS Athens is a not-for-profit, Board of Trustees governed organization: The Board of Trustees is a permanent, policy leadership body involved with strategic planning, advocacy and oversight of the school.
Additionally, an Advisory Council serves as a body of experts to the school’s governance and leadership, providing a connection between ACS Athens and current trends that can impact school policy, programs and teaching and learning practices.
The Board's Principles of Good Practice include:
- The Board is the guardian of the school's mission and holds the school in trust for future generations.
- The Board’s primary goal is to ensure that ACS Athens meets the needs of its students and families through its dedication to academic excellence, while at the same time remaining a student-centered institution.
- The Board reviews and maintains appropriate bylaws that conform to legal requirements.
- The Board assures that the school and the Board operate in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- The Board accepts accountability for both the financial stability and the financial future of the school; it approves the annual budget, tuition, salary and benefits, the master campus development plan and other major policy decisions.
- The Board selects, supports, nurtures, evaluates, defines the scope of duties and sets appropriate compensation for the school President.
- The Board focuses on long-range strategic planning and sets annual goals related to the plan. It conducts annual written evaluations for the school, the school President and the Board itself.
- The Board keeps accurate records of its meetings.
- Board composition reflects the strategic expertise, resources and perspectives needed to achieve the school’s mission.
- As leader of the school community, the Board maintains good relations with school constituents, as well as the broader community and enhances the public standing of ACS Athens.
- The Board raises funds through various initiatives, in order to ensure that ACS Athens has adequate resources with which to fulfill its mission.