For the past 14 years, Dr. Stefanos Gialamas has been the President of the American Community Schools of Athens, Greece (ACS Athens, Greece) and also the founder of the gMp (Global Morfosis Paradigm) Organization. He holds a BS, an MA and a Ph.D. in Mathematics; the latter is from the University of Illinois at Chicago (Knot Theory). He has been a University Professor, Department Chair, Dean, and a Provost at higher education institutions in the United States and Greece.
He has taught graduate and undergraduate mathematics, computer, management and leadership courses at universities in Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Greece.
His professional work includes research in Leadership, Faculty Development, Innovative Approaches in Teaching and Learning, Knot Theory, Mathematics and Arts, the History and Philosophy of Mathematics, and Mathematics Education.
He has published more than 120 refereed articles in both English and Greek languages, four books, a chapter book, and many other manuals and hundreds of newspaper and magazine articles.
In response to the educational needs of society due to globalization, he has developed an authentic education paradigm, the Global Morfosis Paradigm, which has been implemented at ACS Athens for the past decade. This dynamic paradigm consists of three inseparable, interconnected, and interrelated components: the Educational Philosophy of Morfosis (μόρφωση), the i2Flex Delivery Methodology, and the Aristeia (Αριστεία) Leadership Approach guided by Ethos and Serving Humanity.
One manifestation of his commitment to serving humanity is the design, development, and implementation of the Youth-to-Youth Program over the past several years. This program focuses on educating unaccompanied refugee children in Greece. This authentic program has received international attention.
Under his leadership in 2007 and in 2016 ACS Athens received re-accreditations from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA), PA, USA. The president of MSA called ACS Athens “one of our highest performing schools’. ACS Athens is the first international school among 2700 international schools accredited by MSA using the highest level of protocol called “Sustaining Excellence”. This is a process that engages an entire school community in designing and implementing a school-wide research effort to identify areas for growth and improvement, to thoroughly examine the research into best practices in those areas, and to create new knowledge and best practices by conducting action research investigations during the process of implementing new initiatives.
- Invited to speak at the Ideagen Annual Global Goals 2030, UN ECOSOC Chamber with the theme Empowering Women & Girls Summit, in New York City in September 2019. Dr. Gialamas had the honor to share with the distinguished audience how ACS Athens, as an educational institute, is preparing young girls to become tomorrow's leaders with ethos.
- Keynote Speaker at the Annual Alliance for International Education Conference - 2019 - Rethinking International Education – Values and Relevance. The topic of his speech was: “Inspiring Individuals to Transform Society as Architects of their Own Learning”.
- In February 2017, Dr. Gialamas was invited to speak at the WISE Madrid Summit in Education with theme “Imagine the future of Education”.
- In June 2016, the Board of Directors of the Pinewood American International School, Thessaloniki Greece selected Dr. Gialamas to be the graduation speaker.
- In April 2014, Qatar Foundation invited Dr. Gialamas to join a distinguished team of experts to discuss the future of WISE (World Innovation Summit in Education) and its strategic objectives in order to shape its contribution to building the future of education.
- He was the installation speaker at the inauguration of Dr. Richard Hurley as the 9th president of the University of Mary Washington, Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA, in September 2011.
- Received the 2019 Ideagen Global Leadership Award. The Ideagen Global Leadership Awards are awarded as an honor to the legacy of Ideagen's Chairman of the Board, Congressman Louis Stokes (1925 - 2015) and Ideagen's Chairman Emeritus former United States Surgeon General Dr. Kenneth Moritsugu
- Dr. Gialamas received leadership and educational awards from diverse academic and social institutions and organizations such as the Middle States Accreditation of Secondary Schools, the International Institute for Human Factor Development, the Chairs Academy, the Hellenic Council of Education, University of Wisconsin, Columbia College Chicago, Illinois Institute of Art , DeVry University, and Pearson Education.
- In 2009, he was awarded by the American Association of University Administrators.
- Selected to become the Chairperson of the Advisory Council of the Bright Start Foundation. The foundation is focusing on providing the platform for optimizing children’s cognitive, social, and emotional development in all settings where young children spend their time.
- Became a member of the Board of Trustees of the Hellenic American University, Athens, Greece.
- In December of 2018, he was invited to join the Advisory Council of the Hisar School, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Since 2016, he is a member of the Advisory Board of the Home Project Foundation, which provides housing, support, protection, social, and educational integration to the most vulnerable children in Greece.
- In November 2015 and since then, he was invited by Stephen A. Schwartzman to join a small group of extraordinary individuals with diverse backgrounds to serve as panelists for the interview process to select the Schwartzman Scholars. The program is modeled after the Rhodes scholarship; scholars study for one year at Tsinghua University in Beijing, one of the top academic institutions in China. Schwartzman Scholars is a highly selective, one-year master’s program at Tsinghua University in Beijing that is designed to prepare the next generation of global leaders for the challenges of the future. Schwartzman Scholars welcomed its first class of 100 students in the summer of 2016.
- For six years (2009-2015) he was a member of the International Schools Accreditation Committee (ISAC), recommending institutional accreditation to the Commission of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (Philadelphia, PA). He was a consultant/evaluator for the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (Chicago, IL). He has also served as the VP of the Hellenic Institute for Greek Language and Culture. He was elected Chairman of the Education Committee of the Board of Education of the Illinois High School District 230, representing more than 10,000 students (Illinois).
- In May 2014, Dr. Gialamas was invited to become a member of the Board of Trustees of the organization Global Youth Innovation Network.
- He is a member of the WISE Prize in Education Committee since 2013 when her Highness Sheikha Moza Bin Nasser, Chairperson of the Qatar Foundation, selected Dr. Gialamas to join. This committee is responsible for selecting among hundreds of nominees, the one with the most significant contribution to education as finalists. The Laureate receives an award of $500,000 and a gold medal.
- He has been the president of the American Association of University Administration.
- He is co-author of the book titled “Leadership Recommendations for Overcoming the Crisis in Greece” which was published July 2017.
- He is the co-editor and co-author of the book titled “ Revolutionizing K-12 Blended Learning through the i 2 Flex Classroom Model, which was published August 2016. In addition, 25 ACS Athens educators are contributing authors of books.
- In July 2014, he published a book chapter titled i2Flex: The Meeting Point of Web-Based Education and Innovative Leadership in a K-12 International School Setting”, published by Springer with the title, Digital Systems for Open Access to Formal and Informal Learning.
- In May 2013, he published the book “A Thoughtful Mind,” containing articles and publications on academic leadership and international education. All proceeds went towards the construction of state of the arts Elementary School Science Labs at ACS Athens.
- Dr. Gialamas was an Associate Editor of the Academic Leadership online Journal. He has also contributed to the Journal of Human Factor Studies as its Editor (1999 - 2003). He was also a member of the Board of Directors of the State of Illinois Mathematics and Science Advisory Committee.
- In August 2016, he was featured in a cover story of Business Partners Magazine, titled: “ACS Athens Modelling Education for the 21 st Century”.
- Since 2015 he has been featured in the special annual edition of The Economist Greece magazine.
- In August 2014, he was featured in a cover story titled "Shifting Mindsets: ACS Athens" in Business Partners Magazine.
- In March 2013, he was featured in the cover story of a prestigious professional magazine in Greece, “Scientific Marketing Management”, as one of the significant educational leaders in the country.