What is the AMC 8?
It is the first competition at middle school level of the official American Mathematical Competition series by the Mathematics Association of America. The competition lasts for 40-minutes and it has 25 multiple choice questions. The material covers the following topics from a typical middle school mathematics curriculum:
- counting and probability;
- proportional reasoning;
- elementary geometry including the Pythagorean theorem;
- spatial visualization;
- applications in every day situations;
- reading and interpreting graphs and tables.
The competition questions increase in difficulty hence some of the later questions may include topics such as:
- linear or quadratic functions and equations;
- coordinate geometry;
- topics included in a beginning algebra course.
Why choose to participate?
The competition series provides an opportunity for middle school students to:
- develop positive attitudes towards mathematics;
- practice and enhance analytical series that can assist in future careers;
- apply classroom skills in unique problem-solving challenges;
- have fun while doing mathematics in a low stress and friendly environment.
Registration information and Competition Dates
Registration Deadline: Thursday January 11, 2024
Competition Date: Thursday January 18, 2024
Payment must be made using the School Bank information. Please indicate the competition (AMC 8) and include the student's full name.
For more information about the competition visite the official site by Mathematical Association of America.