American High School Diploma
The MSA-CESS accredited program of ACS Athens requires that a student must fulfill the academic requirements of an American Diploma curriculum in order to complete his/her studies at the school.
The American Community Schools of Athens requires twenty-six Carnegie Units to be earned over a minimum of eight semesters for the Academy Diploma. These will include the following:
- Four English credits. Classes are taken each semester in grades 9-12. The following courses or their equivalents must be taken.
- English 9: Literature or Language and Literature (Regular or Honors)
- English 10: Literature or Language and Literature (Regular or Honors)
- English 11: Humanities or a year of IB English Literature or IB English Language and Literature year 1.
- English 12: Humanities, or a year of IB English Literature or IB English Language and Literature year 2.
- Three Years of Greek and/or Modern Language, two years must be in the same language. (It is recommended that students take four years.)
- Three years of Mathematics including Geometry with Algebraic Topics (It is recommended that students take four years.).
- Three years of Science. (It is recommended that students take four years.)
- One semester of Health, preferably in grade 10.
- Two semesters of Computer Technology.
- Four Social Studies credits. Classes are taken in grades 9-12, including:
- European History: grade 9 requirement (Regular or Honors)
- American Studies: grade 10 requirement (Regular or Honors)
- Plus two full years of Social Studies classes in grades 11-12.
- Two semesters of Visual and Performing Arts. Students may elect courses from the Visual Arts and Performing Arts.
- Three semesters of Physical Education. All 9th graders must take Physical Education. A third semester must be taken for graduation, preferably in Grade 10.
- The remainder of the credits is to be earned through the various elective courses offered in grades 11-12.