The Health Center at ACS Athens consists of two Registered Nurses. These two health care providers are dedicated to the well being of our students.
Having a School Health Office gives the parents peace of mind knowing that if a medical situation should arise, the students will be seen promptly and the appropriate action taken. The knowledge that caring health providers are available at ACS Athens is also a comfort to the students.
We, at ACS Athens, are committed to providing optimal care.
Wishing everyone a safe and healthy year.
Please make note of the following reminders:
- For new students a School Health record along with an emergency form are required as well as, a School Health Examination form signed by a physician. These forms are provided to the parents during the registration week or can be found online here.
- For returning students a School Health Examination Form is required as it is valid for one year.
- If your child needs prescribed medication while at school, a doctorss note is required. A Permission Form for Prescribed and Over the Counter Medication can be picked up at school or be found on the website. This form must be completed by a parent/guardian or by a health care provider. Medication cannot be given unless the proper forms are in place.
- All prescription medication must be in a dated, labeled pharmacy container. This includes Inhalers and Epi Pens. All medication must be brought to the school by a parent or guardian. There can be no exception. The school nurse is available from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm to receive the medication. Please call if other arrangements need to be made.
- Fever over 38 °C (100.4 °F), flu like illness, vomiting and diarrhea are all reasons to stay home from school, and a doctor's note may be required to return to school and for the absence to be excused per school attendance policy.
- If your child has been diagnosed with a communicable disease such as chickenpox, staph, untreated head lice, ringworm, pink eye, etc. he/she must be properly treated by a health care provider and upon returning to school a doctor's note is required.
- Please inform the nurse if your child will be out for an extended time due to illness, has frequent absences due to a documented chronic medical condition, has any surgical procedures or hospitalizations that may require accommodations to ensure your child's health needs and academic success.
- HOURS of Operation: 8:30 - 18:00
- PHONE No.: 210.6070.235
Physical Activity Participation Form
Please complete the PE Participation form below, in order that the student is allowed to participate in sports and athletic activities.
ACS Athens Health Office Requirements
During enrollment, parents must register their children with the school nurse. Certain forms need to be filled out concerning the health of each child. Additionally, parents are urged to update these forms whenever changes occur during the school year. The Health Office forms are:
School Health Record Card
This card consists of general information on the child, and also a section for names and telephone numbers of persons to reach in case of emergency. This form also has a section for reporting any special health problems (allergies, medication requirements, etc.) that a child may have. It is important that the Nurse has this information for the safety of each child.
Parents are required to give authorization to allow the Nurse to administer non-prescription medication (aspirin or non-aspirin pain reliever, for example). After completing the card, parents must sign on the space provided at the bottom.
It is necessary that parents complete this form. In the event of an emergency the child may need to be transported to a hospital. This form is divided into two sections; parents need only complete one or the other.
Section 1 gives permission for a child to be transferred to one of the listed hospitals, all of which are near the school. Section 2 should be completed if parents wish to choose a different hospital or clinic not listed in Section 1.
School Health Examination
The ACS Athens Health Office requires that EVERY new and returning student has a physical examination carried out and signed by a QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN (updates every year). If a child has had a check-up within a year prior to registration, then a photocopy of the record of this examination will suffice. The physical examination form must be submitted to the Health Office within 15 days from the date of registration.
Permission Form for Medication
The ACS Health Office requires this form in case your child needs prescribed or over the counter medication during school hours. This form must be completed by a parent/guardian or by a health care provider. Medication cannot be given unless this form is completed.