Middle School Counselor (Maternity Leave Replacement)
Application deadline: February 28th, 2020
ACS Athens, a student-centered international school, embracing American educational philosophy, principles and values, is seeking to recruit a Middle School Counselor (maternity replacement). The MS Counselor reports to the K-12 Counseling Coordinator.
Assignment Period: March 23, 2020 - June 19, 2020
- Teaches Middle School students the relevant Advisory curriculum in accordance with the departmental standards and benchmarks;
- Makes available to students’ opportunities for individual and/or group counseling for personal, social and academic challenges;
- Communicates with parents the progress of the students;
- Provides essential information to teachers about students which will result in desirable classroom relationships;
- Is responsible for scheduling and facilitating the use of standardized tests (i.e. MAP test); interprets the results of these tests for students, teachers, and parents;
- Provides guidance to students when selecting courses for the succeeding year and assists with the creation of the schedule;
- Works closely with the Principal on individual and group issues;
- Conducts small group counseling sessions directed toward issues of concern to the student body (i.e. study skills groups, bullying, etc.);
- Offers a Step Up group program for all fifth-grade students and their parents to prepare them for the transition to the Middle School;
- Administers placement tests;
- Facilitates new student orientation/registration;
- Establishes new student Buddy Program;
- Creates and monitors all student schedules;
- Serves as active member of the Child Study Team;
- Monitors quarterly progress reports;
- Serves as team member of school-wide Advisory Program;
- Assists students with scholarship and award opportunities;
- Serves as active member of Core grade level meetings;
- Serves as creative team member of school-wide Wellness Week;
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Teaching License in Guidance Counseling/School Counseling;
- Academic degrees from an accredited University/College in the specific subject area(s);
- At least two years of relevant experience;
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, both orally and written, in English;
- Commitment to remain current in content knowledge and teaching strategies;
- Currently contributing to US Social Security and FICA tax, required (applies only to US hires).
To be considered for this vacancy, please reference job title and your last name in the subject line (e.g. RE:
MS_COUNSELOR_SMITH), and submit in English:
- Cover letter, which should include a statement of your educational philosophy;
- Resume, which should contain applicable license/certification information and;
- The contact information for three professional references.
Submit the above required information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.