Program structure and instructors
- Students will be provided with a structured, quiet environment with designated hours for studying.
- Students will be responsible for keeping up with their assignments by checking both Skyward and
- Moodle before starting their work.
- Students will be introduced to the daily use of a calendar/planner to organize their assignments and upcoming work. They will also be encouraged to set daily goals for the completion of their homework.
- Students will be away from all distracting stimuli (electronics) while completing their homework.
- Students will decrease the amount of time they are working on their assignments by working in a supervised environment.
- Students will ensure that all writings go through a process; brainstorming, outline, paragraph structure and drafts before submitting their final piece.
- Students will be allowed structured physical breaks (time defined or task defined) to clear their mind and focus back on their work.
- Students will be provided with immediate and direct feedback about the timely completion of their work.
- Students will be encouraged to develop frequent communication with their classroom teachers via email and Moodle.
The Program Instructors will provide homework support in the following ways:
- Checking for understanding by asking students to repeat instructions when needed. If students do not understand the directions correctly, instructors will repeat them by breaking them down into step-by-step procedures.
- Improving students’ time management by giving them one task to complete at a time and introducing the next task only when students have successfully completed the previous task.
- Improving students’ organizational skills by assisting students with keeping their binders and notebooks organized and well-presented.
- Following a less desirable task with a more desirable task, making the completion of the first necessary to perform the second.
- Reducing the directions to steps by giving students each additional step after completion of the previous step.
- Emphasizing the importance of taking notes and highlighting or underlining while reading to increase reading comprehension.
- Encouraging students to look at all available resources on Moodle to get assistance in how to complete their work.
- Reading aloud to students who are auditory learners or providing them with audio books when possible.
- The Program Instructors will work in small groups with a minimum of 4 students and a maximum of 6.
- The Program Instructors will provide updates to parents via elog notes that will be shared at the end of each session via email.
- Please note that the Learning Commons Staff reserves the right not to offer a session if the Program does not reach the minimum required number of students.