Math / Science Studio
The Math / Science Studio, located at the 3rd floor of the Sabbagh Library, offers Middle school and Academy students personalized assistance in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Environmental Systems and Societies according to their individual needs. Students work individually or in groups at their own pace guided by the Math/ Science Studio team of teachers. As it is often challenging for students to realize the beauty of mathematics, to see the whole picture of this exciting discipline and how it is connected with almost every other discipline and life in general, our main goal is to make students love mathematics and guide them to learn how to think in a mathematical way. Through that perspective we insist on the conceptual understanding of the material taught. Additionally, students are given mathematical riddles and puzzles to work on in order to cultivate mathematical reasoning, interesting problems to enhance their skills as well as extracurricular activities to engage them in learning. We often conduct interdisciplinary workshops to showcase the interrelation of mathematics with other sciences, music, and art and at the same time inspire students as well as broaden their horizons.
"Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding." – William Paul Thurston
The Math / Science Studio is located at the 3rd floor of the Sabbagh Library.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9am-5pm, Wednesday: 9am-4pm.
- Ms. Antonia Pentoti: Math/Science Studio Coordinator
- Ms. Evangelia Theofilou: Chemistry/Physics/Mathematics
- Ms. Katerina Saini: Mathematics
Ms. Antonia Pentoti: in person or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Math/Science Studio offers support to all Middle School and Academy students, as well as Upper Elementary School students
The Math / Science Studio offers the following services:
- Independent study with personalized support in Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Environmental Systems and Societies
- Workshops on a variety of interdisciplinary topics (Mathematics, Astronomy, Physics, Biology and Chemistry)
- Seminars specialized for math skills' enhancement
- Assistance with research projects
- Support with standardized testing (SAT, ACT)
- Preparation for tests/ exams/ retakes
- Mathematical resources (textbooks/ notes/ online reinforcement activities)
- Fun activities: Mathematical games, puzzles and riddles
- Study groups
A student may visit the Math / Science Studio:
- During lunch break
- After school, from 3:45pm to 5pm
- During flex time or any free block
- Escorted by their teacher as part of an entire class