May 2020 Bulletin
ACS Athens goes Virtual
ACS Athens Goes Virtual We are ACS Athens In these challenging times physical distancing may be mandatory, but socially, we are as close and connected as ever. We stay together. Learning never ends!
Click here for more.
Message from the PTO - We are all in the same storm but not in the same boat. Each of
us will emerge, in our own way, from this storm. It is very important to see beyond what is seen at first glance. Not just looking, actually seeing. We are all on different ships during this storm experiencing a very different journey.
As we enter our 2nd month of online schooling we must keep up our enthusiasm, momentum and excitement for our children. We know for some it is getting more difficult, for others easier. Let's whisper not shout, let's get curious not furious and let's all turn up our empathy.
Happy Month from your ACS Athens PTO Board.
Update from Dr. Pelonis, President, ACS Athens
Dr. Pelonis would like to emphasize that the process of this new online learning journey is just as important as the outcome - get your kids involved in the learning process to be happy and reach their full potential.
- Following the Greek Ministry of Education directive about school openings, ACS Athens will resume on May 18th for Middle School and Academy students. Parents and students for grades 6-11 will receive more information in the next few days. Specific instructions and upcoming events will also be sent to parents and students of 12 th graders.
- There will be an opportunity to convey your special circumstances regarding school attendance in the next few days as well.
- Dr. Pelonis has been in touch with Universities and they say they trust us in our assessments and criteria we use to end the year and they will accept that for admittance.
- The Universities she has spoken with have mentioned giving students an option in September of taking classes online for a 6 month period or returning to campus.
- Principals trying to make as much time as possible for parents-virtual meeting coffee sessions every 2 weeks - parents please watch for detailed emails announcing the meetings.
- Teachers are working to make asynchronous sessions more interesting and engaging
- Dr. Pelonis is working to organize a dual enrollment program with some U.S. Universities - juniors and seniors will have the opportunity to enroll in college level online courses during their school year - if a student doesn't want to do full IB they may be able to sign up for 12 credits of university courses - when completed they can apply to other universities as transfer students - these classes must be taken online in real time
- Career simulation lab - ACS is currently working on a project where students can go online to experience a particular career.
- Parent Conferences - you will be receiving more information from your Principal - they are working out a way to have virtual meetings also watch for more detailed comments about your kids on Skyward. Parents can request a one on one parent and Principal meeting if necessary.
ACS Athens PTO Donation
The ACS Athens PTO is happy to be able to make a donation of much needed supplies to the Children's Orphanage Lyreio Idryma. They are also desperately in need of books (English and Greek) and school supplies. If you have any of these items to donate please put them in a box marked "PTO Donation for Lyreio Idryma" and drop them off at the school. We thank you very much for your support.
Elementary School - The next virtual meeting with Ms. Moros is scheduled for May 8 from 12:30 - 1:30. Please check your emails for an invitation to join. Academy and IB - on April 23rd, Mr. Nelson held the 2nd Parent and Principal online Coffee meeting with a huge turnout of over 50 parents. There was also an update and question session with Dr. Tsokos from the IB program. For anyone who missed the meeting you can watch it on the PTO website.
ACS Athens Yearbook - Parents can contribute to the Yearbook by either making a dedication or posting an advertisement/ announcement for their business. Parents can reserve a 1/4, 1/2 or full page to post a thank you, gift, dedication, or advertisement. Please fill out the form with your information- the deadline is May 8.
- Students cannot go onto the campus now as there are works being done - the school will announce when it is safe to visit.
- Emotional Wellbeing and Parenting and Health tips relating to the Corona virus can be found here on the ACS Website
- The Chinese consulate has donated 2500 masks to ACS Athens
- Summer Camp - ACS hopes that the summer camp will run as normal
- The ACS Athens Part time Saturday Y2Y program and the full time program have also moved online. Congratulations to Ms. Tokatlidou for making this happen.
- Mindfulness sessions for parents with Mr. Karantinos are happening every Wednesday - please fill out this form for more information.
- Axel Scheffler, the illustrator of the Gruffalo and other books by Julie Donaldson, has illustrated a digital book for primary school age children, free for anyone to read on screen or print out, about the coronavirus and the measures taken to control it.
- Just a reminder that students can meet one on one with their teachers during virtual office hours
- At any time parents can fill out our online form to ask their principals' questions. If you have any impressions of online learning that you would like to share please fill out our form we would love to hear your stories. You can see parent’s stories here.
- Remember you can see all the minutes from our General Meetings and the recordings of the virtual Principals and Parents meetings on the PTO website.