Long-term Substitute Teacher
Application deadline: February 28th, 2020
ACS Athens, a student-centered international school, embracing American educational philosophy, principles and values, is seeking to recruit a full time permanent substitute teacher and Writing Studio assistant with a background in English Language to teach Academy and Middle School students for the 2019-2020 school year. The teacher reports to the Director of the Learning Commons.
- Substitute classes in the Middle School and Academy, primarily for faculty in the English and humanities departments;
- Assist/guide/teach students in the writing/research studio after school;
- Teach and provide learning experiences in English language, while creating an environment that is conducive to student learning and involvement;
- Monitor students' understanding of the curriculum effectively and adjusts instruction, materials, or assessments when appropriate;
- Evaluate, try innovative approaches, and refine instructional strategies, including the effective use of technologies available to teachers, to increase student learning, involvement, and confidence to learn;
- Know and use technology in teaching;
- Design presentations and/or workshops for Academy and Middle School students;
- Demonstrate appreciation for and sensitivity to the diversity among individuals and strives to ensure equitable opportunities for student learning;
- Maintain and improve professional competence through attendance at professional development events;
- Share responsibility for accomplishing the goals and priorities of his/her grade/team/department;
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Licensed to teach grades 7-12;
- Bachelor's Degree, Master’s preferred, from an accredited college or university, in English Language;
- At least two years of relevant teaching experience, required;
- IB and/or AP teaching experience considered a plus;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, to students (ages 13 - 18) in English;
- Commitment to remain current in content knowledge and teaching strategies.
- Currently contributing to US Social Security and FICA tax, required (applies only to US hires).
To be considered for this vacancy, please reference job title and your last name in the subject line (e.g. RE: SUBSTITUTE_SMITH), and submit in English:
- Cover letter, which should include a statement of your educational philosophy;
- Resume, which should contain applicable license/certification information and;
- The contact information for three professional references.
Submit the above required information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.