Learning Commons Front Desk
Learning Commons Front Desk Department: Learning Commons Reports to: Director of the Learning Commons
Department: Learning Commons
Reports to: Director of the Learning Commons
School year: 2019-2020
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND SCOPE:
- To ensure the smooth functioning of the Learning Commons in coordination primarily with the Director, along with all other persons and entities involved in its daily functioning (librarian, studio coordinators, students, faculty, parents, substitute teachers interns, specialists etc).
- To assist the Learning Commons Director and Learning Commons Team in various administrative tasks.
The Administrative Assistant to the Learning Commons shall:
- Perform general administrative assistant duties including: answering telephone, greeting and directing office visitors appropriately, faxing, filing, typing, preparing correspondence, calling, e-mailing, letter writing etc.
- Update and maintain the LC and the Director’s calendar schedule
- Maintain solid communication between Director, Administration, faculty, staff and students as it pertains to the LC operation
- Manage traffic flow in the three levels of the building
- Maintain the area neat and presentable
- Maintain confidentiality of records and information
- Organize, update and maintain all existing and new files within the department.
- Manage physical and online shared folders.
- Handle incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- Write/edit/complete papers, projects, letters, and other assignments for the Learning Commons.
- Receive students, parents and visitors; creates welcoming environment, make arrangements for refreshments, coffee etc.
- Manage and maintain Learning Commons equipment inventory records
- Coordinate meetings and appointments for the Director
- Prepare purchase orders and monitor spending to ensure purchases are within the appropriate budget
- Arrange, coordinate, and/or attend meetings and conferences, preparing agenda items, calendar and minutes as required
- Order supplies and maintain records of invoices and purchases
- Assist in the preparation of budgets and reports
- Assist with the maintenance of both general and confidential files
- Answer telephones and responds to requested information and/or referred inquiries to the appropriate party
- Maintain system of data for evaluations of employees
- Track and monitor website and social media posts as it pertains to Learning Commons activity and events.
- Assist in the logistics and planning of Learning Commons professional development times
- Keep track of payments of related events/activities
- Collaborate with other departments (Enrollment, Business Office, Technology, Human Resources, Schools etc)
- Take initiatives, make proposals for the optimal functioning of the Learning Commons Space
- Work with off-campus programs as deemed necessary by the Director
- Maintain both physical and digital copies of common and course syllabi
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Director
- Problem solving-ability to resolve problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing information skillfully, developing alternative solutions, working well in group situations.
- Interpersonal skills - focuses on resolving issues, not blaming or gossiping.
- Maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; remains open to new ideas and tries new things. Commitment to working collaboratively and collegially with all members of the campus community toward the common goal of improving the quality of student learning experience
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly. Listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently;
- Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments. Appearance is professional and with appropriate dress.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Excellent command of the English language both orally and written
- Proficiency skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) E-mail communication, internet navigation
- Bachelor’s Degree minimum, preferably in English Language and Literature
- Knowledgeable and experienced in using various software technologies
- Comfortable with online educational tools and platforms
To be considered for this vacancy, please reference job title and your last name in the subject line (e.g. RE: LEARNING_COMMONS_FRONT_DESK_SMITH), and submit in English:
- Cover letter, which should include a statement of your educational philosophy;
- Resume, which should contain applicable license/certification information and;
- The contact information for three professional references.
Submit the above required information to email@example.com.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.