Academy Advisory Counselor
Department: Student Affairs
Reports to: Counseling Coordinator K-12
School year: 2019-2020
- Guides students through the relevant guidance curriculum in accordance with the departmental standards and benchmarks;
- Makes available to students opportunities for individual and/or group counseling for personal, social and academic challenges;
- Communicates with parents the progress of the students;
- Maintains a detailed, informative Moodle Shell for the Advisory course;
- Provides essential information to teachers about students which will result in desirable classroom relationships;
- Is responsible for interpreting the results of Standardized tests for students, teachers, and parents;
- Provides guidance to students when selecting courses for the succeeding year;
- Assists in the scheduling process, working with the counselors on the Master schedule and on conflict-solving;
- Actively monitors student schedules;
- Assists students and parents in creating and updating four-year plans;
- Works closely with the Principal on individual and group issues;
- Conducts small group counseling sessions directed toward issues of concern to the student body (i.e. study skills groups, bullying, etc.);
- Attends Advisory meetings with the counseling team;
- Facilitates new student orientation/registration;
- Monitors quarterly progress reports;
- Serves as team member of school-wide Advisory Program;
- Assists students with scholarship and award opportunities;
- Serves as creative team member of school-wide Wellness Week;
- Assists with presentations to parents (new parent orientation, College evening, etc.)
- Keeps the K-12 Counseling Coordinator abreast of all relevant issues;
- Works closely with the OLP department to facilitate smooth progress of students with learning differences;
- Works closely with the JK-12 counseling psychologist as needed regarding student socio-emotional well being;
- Works closely with Registrar in relation to college/university application process;
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Teaching certification or equivalent in Guidance Counseling/School Counseling;
- Academic degrees from an accredited University/College in relevant field (MA);
- At least two years of relevant experience;
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, both orally and written, in English;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as necessary;
- Knowledge of technological tools; word, excel, moodle;
- Currently contributing to US Social Security and FICA tax, required.
To be considered for this vacancy, please reference job title and your last name in the subject line (e.g. RE:
ADVISORY_COUNSELOR_SMITH), and submit in English:
- Cover letter, which should include a statement of your educational philosophy;
- Resume, which should contain applicable license/certification information and;
- The contact information for three professional references.
Submit the above required information to email@example.com.
Deadline: June 30, 2019.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.